The 2 questions that I get asked almost every day are – will bulletproof coffee break my fast? Is it healthy?
With the trend for High Fat Low Carb eating, and in line with my MADE diet, I often get asked how drinking it will affect your fast.
I know that Dave Asprey states in his books, “The Bulletproof Diet” and “Headstrong” that his coffee does not break your fast. After extensive research of my own, and seeing how my own body reacted I’ve come to the following conclusion…
First off, let me explain exactly what it is before I go any farther. The story goes that Asprey was trekking to Mount Kailash – considered one of the most sacred places on earth – he wanted to learn how to meditate like the monks there. Temperatures got to below 0 Farenheit and Asprey began to feel really bad. He talks about meeting a Tibetan woman who gave him a cup of tea blended with yak butter. After five minutes, he felt better.
“I felt a mental clarity come on,” Asprey said. “Everything just felt easier.”
Dave created a version by mixing a cup of coffee with MCT oil and grass fed butter. It may not sound very good if you’ve never tried it, but it actually makes one tasty cup of Java.
One Cup of Bulletproof Coffee has about 230 cal. Now, although I understand that it is 100% fat calories, it’s still calories and in my humble opinion, your body will use those calories for energy instead of your stored fat… which is really your goal while fasting.
I don’t drink bulletproof coffee every day but if I do, it’s within my eight hour feeding window (it’s actually one of my favorite things, – you can see them all here!). There are many health benefits too … Let me share a few:
1. You are getting the benefits of black coffee which in itself has been shown to help prevent diabetes, protect the brain from Alzheimer’s and help prevent Parkinson’s disease.
2. It can help with weight loss when combined with a higher fat and lower carbohydrate diet. Plus, because of the quality fat, it keeps you full for a very long time.
3. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which help the body fight depression, helps relieve the symptoms of asthma, ADHD and Alzheimer’s disease.
4. It is good for the noggin. First off, as I mentioned above… The polyphenols in coffee alone are good for the brain and ward off disease. If you’ve ever been called a fat head, take that as a compliment. Your brain loves fat and if given the right kind…it works optimally. It could just be the power of suggestion but I swear I feel smarter after a cup!
5. Bulletproof coffee is a good source of energy. Again, you’ll get that just from the caffeine but fat can be a very long standing form of energy that won’t give you that crash like a coffee with sugar will.
I believe it will. However, I do think that Bulletproof coffee can be a beneficial part of your day as long as you are aware of its calorie content and you drink it within your feeding window!
My name is Melissa McAllister. I just turned 43! I have a son and daughter and my husband and I are new empty nesters! My husband is the reason I eat, drink, and sleep health and fitness. He has 2 speeds, GO and GO Faster. We have been together for over 27 years and married for 22 (yes, he had me at “hello!”). Don’t get me wrong though…I was a Doritos and Coca Cola eating Hoover when I was in school! Fitness has been an essential part of my life for over 18 years. I have the 3 best jobs in the world—being a stay-at-home Mom, business owner, and group exercise instructor for several large fitness chains. I have been teaching everything from yoga to kickboxing for over 16 years. I have also had the great opportunity to train, inspire, and motivate other instructors for the past 10 years. You might even see me in a few fitness videos out there! 😉 Reaching out to others who are struggling to be healthy and happy is my passion. I couldn’t tell you next Fall’s latest fashion must have or what flowers to plant this season, but I can help you achieve your health and fitness goals. With your determination and my motivation, we can find and keep the best YOU! I will inspire by holding myself and those around me accountable!