Coconut Oil Isn't Healthy

Coconut Oil Isn’t Healthy – The Cold Hard Green Truth

After reading USA Today’s article from the American Heart Association “Coconut Oil isn’t Healthy – it never was” , I had to write a response:

First, let’s address the fact that they say coconut oil raises LDL.

What’s interesting, is that 50% of people hospitalized because of heart attacks have “normal” cholesterol levels. Over the past several years, it’s been proven that elevated insulin is what puts you at a greater risk of heart disease. Carbohydrates raise your insulin levels, fats do not. Old science only talked about good and bad cholesterol but new science has found that there are two types of LDL – large, fluffy ones and small, dense ones. Only the dense ones are associated with arterial plaque and can increase the risk of heart disease. Next time that you get your blood work done, have them determine your ratio of triglycerides to HDL cholesterol. If the ratio is less than 2, you have predominately large fluffy LDL particles that won’t do you much harm. If the ratio is greater than 4, you have a lot of small dense LDL particles that can elevate the risk of heart disease. A rise in LDL by saturated fat, like coconut oil, does not necessarily mean an increased risk for heart disease.

The Author behind “Coconut Oil Isn’t Healthy”

Now let’s address the author of this article, Dr. Frank Sacks. It didn’t take much research on my part to find where Dr. Sacks has received multiple payments from pharmaceutical companies. The biggest one being Pfizer, the makers of Lipitor…a cholesterol lowering medication. In 2016, the American Heart Association received over $12,2000,000 from AstraZeneca, an antibiotic company bought by Pfizer. That’s just one of many pharmaceutical companies I found that contribute financially to the AHA.

Now what really gets my goat is their suggestion of us using vegetable oil instead of coconut oil. I shouldn’t be surprised though since many vegetable oil’s are made from soy bean and corn which is extremely profitable for our government and great job security for the pharmaceutical companies. But in case you were buying into the hype that vegetable oil is healthier for you than coconut oil, let me give you a brief explanation as to how it is made:

Step 1: Genetically modified ingredients are picked.
Step 2: Heat the ingredients to unnaturally high temperatures so that they oxidize. Oxidation is lethal to your body.
Step 3: Process with a petroleum solvent to extract the oil from the ingredients.
Step 4: Heat up some more and add some acid to remove any wax solids that formed during the first processing.
Step 5: Treat the oil with more chemicals to improve the color.
Step 6: Deodorize the oil to mask the terrible smell from the chemical processing.
Step 7: Then you can even hydrogenate it so it becomes a solid. Now you have margarine and all its trans-fatty goodness.

Everyone knows trans fat wreaks MAJOR havoc on our health – but “Coconut Oil isn’t healthy”. Cold pressed coconut is still considered a raw food. Not much processing going on there. More from the farm people and less from the factory! And then to add insult to injury, polyunsaturated vegetable oils are highly unstable and they oxidize easily. These kind of oxidized fats cause inflammation and mutation in cells. It’s linked to all sorts of issues like cancer, endometriosis, PCOS and heart disease (duhhh!)!

Why is the AHA recommending them??

Oh yeah, PROFIT! What saddens me the most is that doctors, teachers and organizations, who probably started off with our best interests at heart, have resorted to putting money above all else. It seems like our once trusted health care educators and providers are now being completely seduced and won over by the very rich and persuasive pharmaceutical Don Juan. All I can ask is that you don’t take these sorts of articles and information as iron clad because with just a little bit of research done yourself, you’ll find an ulterior motive…one that probably has lots of dollar signs attached.

So when you ask me what I think about the article that says “Coconut Oil isn’t healthy”, I’d tell you take all “scientific research” with a pinch of salt, and check money and influence isn’t corrupting the author. (I’ll continue using my Coconut Oil 😉 )

Sources

About the Author Melissa McAllister

My name is Melissa McAllister. I just turned 43! I have a son and daughter and my husband and I are new empty nesters! My husband is the reason I eat, drink, and sleep health and fitness. He has 2 speeds, GO and GO Faster. We have been together for over 27 years and married for 22 (yes, he had me at “hello!”). Don’t get me wrong though…I was a Doritos and Coca Cola eating Hoover when I was in school! Fitness has been an essential part of my life for over 18 years. I have the 3 best jobs in the world—being a stay-at-home Mom, business owner, and group exercise instructor for several large fitness chains. I have been teaching everything from yoga to kickboxing for over 16 years. I have also had the great opportunity to train, inspire, and motivate other instructors for the past 10 years. You might even see me in a few fitness videos out there! 😉 Reaching out to others who are struggling to be healthy and happy is my passion. I couldn’t tell you next Fall’s latest fashion must have or what flowers to plant this season, but I can help you achieve your health and fitness goals. With your determination and my motivation, we can find and keep the best YOU! I will inspire by holding myself and those around me accountable!

Leave a Comment:

39 comments
Heather says June 19, 2017

What is your opinion of olive oil?

Cyndy says June 19, 2017

Melissa-Thank you for you’re insight. I truly believe the Pharmaceutical companies want Nothing more then to keep us sick. It gives the government control while fattening the wallets of all involved in healthcare.

Melissa says June 19, 2017

Thank you for writing this! Love it!

Wendy Dotson says June 19, 2017

I have been using coconut oil for two years. My HDL cholesterol is 124 and my triglycerides are 33. I am 55 years old.

Janiris Villar says June 20, 2017

I agree 💯 %.

Ashton Kurtz says June 20, 2017

Thank you Melissa for always educating us. I love this article on this issue<3

DeLynn says June 20, 2017

Awesome post! Love that someone isn’t scared to share the honest truth behind some of those articles!

Bethanie says June 20, 2017

Thanks for sharing this! I knew there was money involved but did not have the time to research what was behind this idea. Thanks for laying out the facts or and giving a true perspective on what’s really going on. So sad that people are being lied to and it is costing them their lives.

Kelley says June 20, 2017

Thank you for this opinion of coconut oil- I’m glad to hear it.
This may be unrelated but I’m wondering what you think of the video “what the health.”
In watching g that video it makes me wonder who or what to believe. Can you recommend a video, or resource, to contradict this information? Is it really harmful to eat meats and dairy?
Kelley

Romez says June 20, 2017

Where did you get the information that Dr. Frank Sacks received payments from Pfizer? Can you post your source for that information because I cannot find it any where. Thank you!

Satia says June 20, 2017

Does anyone have a link to the Pfizer support of this research and Dr. Sacks? Would love to have that information to share with my clients who are now questioning my advice. The only link I found was to this post. Thanks!

Kristine says June 23, 2017

Were you ever able to find the source for this info? I am looking for it too.

Sherri says June 20, 2017

Great article. If you correct the punctuation/grammar in the final sentence, the impact would be a little stronger. I think I know what you’re saying, that both your article and the other article are all about money, but I had to read it several times. Even now, I’m not sure
I got it right.

Bethany Kwiatkowski says June 20, 2017

Love this. You should write the author, challenging his article!

Edda LeBron says June 20, 2017

I knew it. When I first read the article yesterday, it sounded a little off. Hate that a professional would sell his soul for the mighty dollar and not care about the health of his patients. Sorry for them. Congratulations on posting this blog. We need more like this exposing the hard reality of the double talk in the medical field. Thank you.

Jessica says June 20, 2017

Thank you for this! Your post confirms what I believe to be true as well!!!

Willie says June 20, 2017

I am like you . Even my dietician told me Coconut Oil was bad for you. She gave me a lot of other bogus crap that I knew was bad . Like artificial sweeteners instead of sugar. If you gotta use sugar use raw sugar . I do eat sweets occasionally but not like I would like to but I don’t drink soda, use sugar or sweeteners in my coffee, tea , oatmeal and watch the sugar content in other foods . No artificial sweeteners period.

Kate says June 20, 2017

Way to go Melissa!! You are absolutely “spot on” with this article and I consider what the AHA & Big Pharma are doing to be nothing less than a serious crime against humanity!!!!! Thank you for telling it like it is 🙂

Josie Gibbs says June 21, 2017

Great post. Love your description on how vegetable oil is processed.

Debbie says June 21, 2017

Hi, I’ve been reading up on the knife versus fork research. Have you read this study and it basically says all man made fats are bad/not necessary. I’d like your educated opinion.

Rosa says June 21, 2017

Thank you for this Melissa! Amazing response to a misleading and biased article!

CHARLES OLINDE says June 21, 2017

MELISSA IS A GENIUS!!!

A Lifestyle & Health Blogger's Summertime Reading List + The Coconut Oil Debate - Eryn Whalen says June 21, 2017

[…] Melissa McAllister, on her blog Melissa Made also had an honest take. […]

Darlene Caron says June 21, 2017

Thank you for clearing up the confusion. I truly appreciate it! And I will continue to use coconut oil in my coffee, my shakeology and in my cooking. <3

Doris says June 21, 2017

I will also continue using coconut oil and MCT every morning in my Coffee..

Maxine says June 22, 2017

I grew up in South America where coconut oil is the main oil for cooking..skin moisturizer, hair care.and coconut milk is used in our stews and rice…and I have no indications of heart disease of any kind. My skin has no wrinkles at 55 . Like you stated…its all about the money.

Addie Sabina says June 22, 2017

Have you considered writing the Heart Association and kindly pointing out your concerns about their research.

Cherie Bass says June 22, 2017

Good article!

Raquel says June 22, 2017

Thanks for this passionate article.
I love my coconut oil & will continue using it. I’ll share this article with my friends.

How is cold pressed oil made?

Oh, and please don’t spam my email.

Angie Noe says June 22, 2017

I totally agree. By the way I’ve studied this also. Licensed pharmacist

Jane says June 22, 2017

Exactly , STOP lining their wallets to ruin your health

Audrey McCombs says June 23, 2017

Been using & will continue to use my coconut oil, cream, milk, etc. Very seldon I believe anything I read anymore!

Elizabeth Bucher says June 23, 2017

It is tragic that in this day and age of so called “enlightenment ” money & power are what rule irrespective of consequences.

Tammy says June 24, 2017

Girl preach!

Beulah says June 24, 2017

I do not use coconut oil internally and my triglycerides reading is 57 and my HDL cholesterol is 54. I am 81 years old.

Gale says June 25, 2017

I just saw this on CBS This Morning last week and couldn’t believe what they were saying about coconut oil and how they said it was better to use corn oil or vegetable oil. I knew it was $$ talking and Big Pharma. What surprised me was that CBS let someone come on and spew this hogwash when I thought it had been well-known for many years that coconut oil was so good for you and the corn and vegetable oils were bad. Guess CBS is not as “with it” as I had thought.

Kelly says June 26, 2017

All truth here Melissa. The sad truth is, most people do not educate themselves on this subject and blindly follow the advice of Dr’s. Very sad and oh so frustrating!

The truth says July 22, 2017

Dont believe this shit. Look up where they most likely got the facts lol. Probably from the heart association who is funded by pharaceutical companies…. Coconut oil is GOOD for you.

It’s This Easy to Eat Well… says September 7, 2017

[…] voucher for some amazing meat!) and I cook the veggies in my cast iron first with a tiny bit of coconut oil, sesame oil or olive […]

Add Your Reply